Fake News is everywhere, I think. Who knows?
Fake news is on the rise, undermining credible news stories and causing angst. It attacks people, places and things by reporting stories that aren’t true. People shoot first and ask questions later by reacting to false headlines. Online posts, media outlets, and Heads of State rant against the proliferation of fake news stories. If someone doesn’t like a post or news story, they shout: Fake News! With all the data circulating the internet it’s imperative that you spend time separating the wheat from the chaff.
Fake news is alive and well in the investing world. Here are a few examples:
- I don’t need to save money to accumulate wealth. False. One of the largest components to your wealth creation is how much money you save and invest monthly. How much should you save? A suggested amount is 10% to 15% of your income. If you’re waiting for a lottery ticket, corporate buyout, IPO, or inheritance from a rich uncle, you may be waiting for a long time – possibly forever. Saving $1,000 per month for 30 years will grow to $1.2 million if you can earn 7% on your investment.
- I can borrow my way to wealth. Debt is an anchor and it will hinder your opportunities to create wealth. The more debt payments you’re making, the less money you can invest. Debt is also a fixed cost and will last the life of your loan. For example, if you borrow $300,000 for 30-years at 4.5%, it will cost you $247,000 in interest.
- I’m young, I don’t need life insurance. If you’re married with young kids, have a mortgage, a few car loans, and a student loan or two, you need life insurance. How much? At a minimum you’ll need enough to pay off all your debts. If you include the cost for college and survivor income for your spouse, it will add to the amount of life insurance you’ll need. A stay-at-home spouse needs life insurance as well.
- I’m young so I don’t need to save money until I’m older. Dave Ramsey tells a story about Jack and Blake. Jack is 21 years old and saved $2,400 per year for nine years and then stopped investing. He invested a total of $21,600 and it grew to $2.54 million. Blake, on the other hand, started investing at age 30. He invested $2,400 for 38 years. His total investment of $91,200 grew to $1.48 million. Jack’s nest egg is more than a million dollars greater than Blake’s all because he started when he was young.
- I’m old, I don’t need to invest for growth. You may live to age 100, or beyond. A person who retires at 65 might spend 35 years in retirement. If you retire your money to a bank or money market fund when you stop working, it will lose value after you factor in inflation and taxes. At a 3% inflation rate, your dollar will lose 35% of it’s value after 35 years – a loss of 1% per year. Contrast this to an investment in Vanguard’s S&P 500 Index Fund on May 29, 1984. A $10,000 investment is now worth $398,000!
- I can trade my way to prosperity. Day traders, market timers and speculators generate high commissions, short-term tax liabilities, but not wealth. Asset allocation accounts for 93.6% of your investment return. The remaining 6.4% is attributed to market timing and investment selection.
- I can keep up with the Joneses. Do your friends drive Ferraris and drink Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon, but you drive a Prius and drink La Croix? If so, hanging out with your friends could be damaging to your wealth. Trying to keep up with your neighbors financially is a fool’s errand. Focus on your finances, not theirs. Who cares if your neighbor has a bigger boat?
- I don’t need a financial plan. Have you tried taking a road trip without a GPS? Have you ever been lost on a mountain trail without a map? If you’ve ever planned a family vacation, you know the benefit of a solid plan. A financial plan will help you quantify and prioritize your goals. It will be your guide and travel companion.
Facts matter, especially when it comes to investing. Investment truth for success: Invest early, invest often, think long-term, keep you your fees low and create a financial plan.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln (source: the Internet)
May 30, 2019
Bill Parrott, CFP®, CKA® is the President and CEO of Parrott Wealth Management located in Austin, Texas. Parrott Wealth Management is a fee-only, fiduciary, registered investment advisor firm. Our goal is to remove complexity, confusion, and worry from the investment and financial planning process so our clients can pursue a life of purpose.
Note: Investments are not guaranteed and do involve risk. Your returns may differ than those posted in this blog. PWM is not a tax advisor, nor do we give tax advice. Please consult your tax advisor for items that are specific to your situation.